MASALA BITTER GOURD
Hello friends, welcome again to my food corner. Today we will make a very spicy, tasty recipe of bittergourds filled with fried spices which will add a delicious touch to your regular lunch and dinner meals. It is tasty, tangy-spicy and will surely improve your appetite for some more.
Bittergourd – 4
For the masala filling:–
- Onion – 3
- Ginger-garlic paste -1 tsp.
- Yellow mustard paste – 2 tbsp.
- Red chilly powder – 2 tsp.
- Coriander-cumin powder – 1 tsp each.
- Dry mango powder or amchoor powder – 1 tbsp.
- Salt – According to taste.
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp.
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp.
- Oil for frying.
Wash, cut the edges of the bitter gourd and make a lengthwise slit on the veggie but do not cut it in half to divide the two parts of it. The slit should be just till it divides one half halfway and does not cut them in two.
Blanch the veggies till cooked but firm.
After the bitter gourd is boiled peel out the seeds of the gourd and keep it aside.
For making the masala – 1. Grind the onion together with the seeds of the gourd and keep it aside.
2. Take a frying pan and add some vegetable oil to it. Next, add some five spice or paanchphoran to it and let it splutter.
3. Now add the ground onion paste,ginger-garlic paste, salt, turmeric powder, red chilly powder,coriander-cumin powder and fry it till it becomes pinkish in colour. But take care not to burn it.
4.When the spices are cooked halfway add the yellow mustard paste and dry mango powder and cook this mixture for 3 minutes. We have to take care of the fact that the masala should not be cooked until long after adding yellow mustard as it will go bitter in taste. Now add dry mango powder and garam masala and give all a good mix and then keep it aside. Let it cool.
After the masala is cooled, take the bittergourds one by one and fill them with the masala batter till full.
Take the same pan and add some oil and shallow fry the gourds individually or in batches till crisp and browned. Do take care not to burn them.
The tasty bittergourds are ready and can be had best with steamed rice, dal, chapatis, curries and the like.
Do try this recipe at home and share your feedback and comments and do ask queries if any. Till then, healthy cooking, happy living!!!