YOGHURT WITH BAY LEAF
Hello buddies, welcome again. In India and likewise the world, we eat lots of dishes and enjoy the diverse cuisines. They are all unique and different. But one thing after all the banter, the food and fuss is that we want some satisfaction from our meal and nothing can be better than ending it with a bowl of homemade yogurt or dahi. In summers we put more emphasis on eating yogurt after each meal as it keeps our tummy healthier and cooler. Yogurt is unique in taste and has many health benefits. It keeps our tummies and minds too, cool. I have learnt this recipe from my maternal grandmother and from my ancestral family line. It is made by mixing bay leaf in milk, which is a slight variation from the regular way of making it.
- Milk – 1 lt.
- Yoghurt(for curdling) – 2 tsp.
- Bay leaf – 4.
- Custard Powder – 2 tsp.
- Nuts for garnishing – Cashew, raisins, almonds, walnuts, pistachios.
Boil the milk with bay leaf in it. Then let it cool a bit so that it is just lukewarm. Now mix 1 cup yoghurt in 1 kg milk and two teaspoons of custard powder in it. Mix it with the hand so that no lumps remain in the milk. Add the nuts if you want to. Cover it with a lid and put it preferably in a wooden meat case. Keep it as such for 4 hours in summer and then when the milk gets settled and thickened or when yoghurt gets made put it in the fridge or it may get sour.
Note point:-1. Boil the raw milk first, then put bay leaf in it and boil again. Do not put the bay leaf in raw milk.
2. You can add saffron or kesar in the milk but it should be added when the milk is lukewarm.
3. You can also add sugar, coconut powder, chocolate powder, extra nuts also if you want. But it is purely optional.
4. You can even add some mashed and whipped ripe banana when you are making the yoghurt. It will give a special banana flavor to your curd making it no less than a great dessert you can have regularly.
Our Yoghurt With Bay Leaf is ready. Serve it with your regular lunch or dinner platter or enjoy it as a homemade dessert with sugar, salt or just like that.
Friends do try the recipe at home. Share your comments and feedback. Have a great weekend. Till then healthy cooking, happy living!!!!